Holistic Health Consultation by Holistic Nursing Consultants
Your Healthcare Partner…
with time to listen… to learn… to care
What is Holistic Nursing?
By caring for the whole person—mind-body-spirit—through compassion and presence, holistic nursing strengthens the body's response to healing. Holistic Nursing practice draws on nursing knowledge, theories, expertise and intuition to guide the nurse in becoming a therapeutic partner with the client.
How Does it Work?
Holistic nursing is a way of being with a person, identifying needs and partnering with them to provide an individualized plan of care for health. A good starting place is to have a holistic health consultation that is consultative and educational that looks at the big picture.
- Complete a comprehensive health assessment form that provides information about health history and current health problems or challenges. This form includes self-assessment questions about your physical, emotional, and mental response patterns and spiritual beliefs. Current medication and supplement information are requested in the assessment and any current laboratory results are helpful to bring to the appointment.
- Schedule the one-hour consultation with Barbara Denison APRN, AHN-BC
- The Holistic Health Consultation is a key first step, assessments are structured to provide you with an important forum to speak and tell us about your individual needs. By listening to your concerns, we can acknowledge the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of yourself contributing to your health patterns. It is an opportunity to evaluate all aspects of one's life and identify areas that may need more attention.
- Nutrition plays a vital role in health and a preliminary assessment of dietary patterns is included in this consultation.
- The consultation time is used to provide individualized recommendations for restoring healthy balance in one's life through a variety of approaches that you can do for your own self-care and/or by choosing available services. Appropriate referrals may be made as well.
What Will I Take Home?
Since everyone is unique, the initial resources you leave with after the Holistic Health Consultation will depend on your needs. Here are some examples:
- Resources such as names of books or websites that can contribute to your knowledge, so you can truly be a partner in your healthcare decisions.
- Educational handouts about healthy foods, supplements or lifestyle suggestions that may benefit your condition.
- An initial plan of care that is individualized for you that may include self-care activities or referrals to appropriate practitioners when indicated.
- A 7-day diet log of what and when you eat and drink may be requested to further assess nutritional needs.
- Other "to do lists" may be requested for a complete evaluation based on your needs.
What are Barbara's Credentials?
Barbara is an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) who is also Board Certified as an Advanced Holistic Nurse (AHN-BC). She has over 37-year experience as a critical care nurse and has been integrating conventional and holistic nursing for about 27 years.
Does Insurance Cover This?
Invoices can be provided for an individual to submit for potential insurance reimbursement. As an APRN her services should be reimbursable, however she is not in-network with any of the insurance carriers. Barbara is an out of network provider for BCBS of KS; however most individuals with BCBS choose to take the 10% discount at the time of service, rather than submit for reimbursement. Fees are very reasonable--refer to services and costs tab on this website.